- Request a Quote
- The Benefits of AccuPeel Laminated Polyimide Shims
Custom AccuPeel® Laminated Polyimide Shims
AccuPeel® laminated polyimide shims are a proprietary offering from AccuTrex Products, Inc. They are made from a laminated polyimide shim stock that provides a host of beneficial properties. The AccuPeel® shims are manufactured to the standard AMS-DTL-22499 Composition 6 polyimide.
Popular brands for polyimide film include Apical®, manufactured by Kaneka, and Kapton®, manufactured by DuPont. Polyimide film is versatile and has many qualities including corrosion and temperature resistance.
AccuPeel® laminated polyimide shims also offer the advantageous combination of strength and flexibility. The material’s strength provides structural security that adds to the quality of components as well as its performance in various equipment systems.
Laminated polyimide shim stock also includes the following properties.
- Electrically non-conductive — Laminated polyimide’s non-conductive properties are effective in electrical insulation, especially in applications requiring exposure to electrical wires or cables. These applications include motors, electronics, compressors, and power generation equipment.
- Wide temperature tolerance — Laminated polyimide exhibits good performance in a wide temperature range, from -452°F to +500°F, while showing good wear under extreme temperatures. This makes laminated polyimide well-suited as effective seals and support for most industrial equipment and environments.
- Resistance to radiation — Laminated polyimide exhibits good resistance to radiation, which is useful for protection, such as shielding in aerospace, medical, and military applications.
- Strength and flexibility — Laminated polyimide has been widely adopted as a film, since it is strong and flexible, making it advantageous as a protective covering or as a strong, lightweight seal. This film is also beneficial as peelable thin layers for customized fits.
Although polyimide film presents advantages for many industries, the aerospace industry in particular benefits greatly from its attributes.
Polyimide in the Aerospace Industry
Shims made from Apical® and Kapton® and other similar laminated polyimide film material are ideal for use in aerospace applications. Typically used as washers, seals, and motor and vibration mounts, these shims greatly add to the precision and reliable performance of components in the aerospace industry.
AccuPeel® shims made from Kapton® also help aircraft and even spacecraft deal with a significant problem—outgassing.
AccuTrex’s new eBook on AccuPeel® and Aerospace
AccuTrex’s new eBook, Take Your Aerospace Shims to New Heights with AccuPeel® Laminated Polyimide Shims, provides much more detail about the benefits our proprietary laminated shim stock presents for a diverse range of industries, and aerospace in particular. Download your free copy today!